The good news is that now, after outlining my milestones and action steps, I finally have a timeline that outlines the number of days that I will spend working on each milestone, and the deadlines by which each milestone needs to be completed.
The bad news is that now I can see exactly where my time management skills (or lack thereof) are failing me, and know that the clock is ticking down towards the end of my time here at Propel.
And here it is.
Here’s the timeline that tracks the time that should be spent on each milestone and shows the progress that should have been made by each day of the semester.
Last week, I completed the “File Hierarchy/Spreadsheet” Milestone, which took me less time than I had originally planned, leaving me to work on learning the different parts of the song and creating the Facebook group. I found out that the sheet music I ordered online would arrive the next week, leaving me with no time to learn the song, but I found that I could buy the music and print it at home instead, saving me time that could have been wasted. I also completed the letter of instruction that singers will use to help guide their song submissions.
This week, I have worked on finishing the milestone “Creating the Group”. I’ve drafted the group descriptions and the invitation to join the group, but I’ve struggled with finding parent groups that I can join as many of them are either private or not well suited to the project’s purpose. This means that I don’t have enough people currently added to the group, and I need to scour the inter-webs to recruit more singers. I also need to create a cover image for the group.
I have also fallen behind at recording the bed-tracks. The song’s different vocal parts are fairly easy to learn, as they are repetitive and their ranges are small, but recording often takes much more time than originally planned. I recorded the alto part, but the lack of time in the studio because of the week being shorter has impeded the recording progress. I’m planning on working hard in the studio to record the tracks, and I’ve also realized that my father has recording equipment that I can also use, although I would prefer to record in the music room.
Realizing that I’m already behind in my project sucks. It is painful to realize that I haven’t been able to manage my time well and be ready for the deadlines that I had originally set for myself. However, this realization of my own failings has inspired me to work harder than ever in the next few weeks. I hope to finish both the “Creating the Group” and the “Recording” milestones completed by the end of this week. After that, I will be e-mailing each member of the Facebook group to provide them with the bed-tracks to the songs and the instructions. I am not worried about having every single participant in the group immediately, because more can join the group slightly later if necessary (just as long as they meet the recording submission deadline). The next few weeks will be spent waiting for submissions to trickle in. Once I have enough recordings, I will begin to mix them in GarageBand. I know the next few weeks will likely be frustrating and time-consuming, but I know that with discipline and the fear of failure looming above my head, I can get it done.
Until next time,